Road Trip


After orders came in, we decided we would drive our car to San Diego. My husband had some time in his orders for travel and after hearing all the horror stories about the auto shipping company, we decided it would be best to take it as far as we could ourselves to minimize interaction with IAL. We also needed to bring our pets, who were only about halfway through their quarantine period, to family in Chicago so we didn’t need to pay to kennel them for two months.

We are crazy people and decided our best route would be to drive straight through to Chicago. Both of us were really dreading the 17 hour drive, but we knew that our dog would be worse in a hotel and we just needed to power through. It was a terrible idea but we did it anyway. Our cat meowed probably 3/4 of the drive. We barely fit all of our bags in my teeny car. We managed to pack: 1 sea bag, 1 flight suit bag, 1 large suitcase, 1 garment bag suitcase, 1 overstuffed backpack, 1 duffle bag, 1 green bag of snacks, 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 liter box, 2 large bags of food, 1 small duffle with pet belongings, and some miscellaneous items that didn’t fit in bags.

We began in Florida, where it was hot and rainy. We ended in Chicago where it was cold and snowy. Neither of us had enough room in our suitcases for winter clothes when we were going to Hawaii, so we spent most of our time curled under a blanket. We took care of some other matters as well, like walking through our home that we are going to sell this summer.

We hit the road again and made a couple stops in St. Louis, Tulsa, and Amarillo. Amarillo was our favorite stop on the beginning of our trip. We saw Cadillac Ranch and The Big Texan. They were super awesome touristy things. Then we drove to Albuquerque to visit family for a few days. Here we went to Sandia Peak, the Trinity Site, and spent quality time with family. Then we headed out to San Diego with one more stop in Phoenix. We were really excited for Phoenix because they have a Portillos. Unfortunately, we were passing through on a holiday and so Portillos was closed. I just wanted one last Chicago style hotdog and chocolate shake!

By the time we arrived in San Diego we were completely exhausted. We had been in every time zone within the continental US within a matter of days. San Diego was gorgeous and full of traffic. I think I’ve been spoiled for the past 2 years, because I felt very anxious in all the traffic and confusing streets of SD. We tried to pack as much as possible in a couple days. We went to the zoo, the USS Midway, Hotel Coronado and downtown.

We dropped off our car a day before our flight incase we ran into any issues. They gave us an estimate of 6 weeks for it to arrive in Hawaii. Everything seemed to go ok with the drop off, so we’re really crossing our fingers it arrives in the same shape.
Our flight to Hawaii felt very long. Neither of us could sleep and we were pretty uncomfortable. We checked 5 bags and had 3 carry-ons. Because we were traveling on orders, we didn’t have to pay for extra baggage (thankfully). We were picked up at the airport by an awesome squadron spouse. We had finally arrived at our final (well, final for me at least) destination and a 6 hour time difference from where we started. It took a few days to adjust, but we’re now in Hawaii! Here’s a few pics from our road trip:
Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 1.00.13 PM Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 1.09.49 PM Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 1.17.56 PM Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 12.59.47 PM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s